Huntsville, the 9-5 morning line favorite, will leave from post 4 while Fear The Dragon, the 2-1 second choice, goes from post 3 in Saturday’s (July 29) $400,000 final of the Delvin Miller Adios Pace for the Orchids at The Meadows.
The powerhouse Adios Day card begins at noon and includes six Grand Circuit stakes. The Adios goes as race 11 with an approximate post time of 4 PM.
By winning last week’s Adios eliminations, the connections of Huntsville and Fear The Dragon earned the right to select their post positions; a drawing Monday gave Fear The Dragon the first choice. All other slots were determined by a random draw.
Trainer Brian Brown, who characterized Fear The Dragon’s performance last week as “dull,” said Monday he expects a return to form this week.
“We’ve been turning him out a lot,” Brown said. “I took him to the field today, and he was anything but dull. I think he’ll be sharper this week. A sign of a good horse is that he wins when he’s supposed to win, so I was happy that he won and toughed it out. But it still worries the heck out of you. He’s never raced like that.”
Trainer Ron Burke, who sends three into the final, drew posts 1 (RJP), 5 (Eddard Hanover) and 7 (Miso Fast).
The complete Adios field in post position order with drivers, trainers and morning line odds:
1. RJP / Yannick Gingras / Ron Burke / 9-2
2. Highalator / Victor Kirby / Jeffrey Long / 20-1
3. Fear The Dragon / David Miller / Brian Brown / 2-1
4. Huntsville / Tim Tetrick / Ray Schnittker / 9-5
5. Eddard Hanover / Brett Miller / Ron Burke / 20-1
6. Western Hill / Dave Palone / Tony Alagna / 8-1
7. Miso Fast / Matt Kakaley / Ron Burke / 15-1
8. Blood Line / Mark MacDonald / Jimmy Takter / 12-1
9. Hurricane Beach / Daniel Dube / Luc Blais / 15-1
– by Evan Pattak