by Evan Pattak
A robust field of 23 top sophomore pacing colts and geldings will contest Saturday’s (July 24) eliminations in the $450,000 Delvin Miller Adios Pace for the Orchids at The Meadows. The three $25,000 elims will go as races eight, nine and 10, with the top three finishers in each elimination returning for the $375,000 final set for July 31. Elimination winners earn the right to choose their post positions for the final.
The Saturday card also features a pair of stakes for 3-year-old filly pacers: a $148,332 Pennsylvania Sires Stake and an $80,000 PA Stallion Series event. First post for the card is 12:45 p.m. while Adios Day kicks off at noon.
Trainers Tony Alagna, Ron Burke and Nancy Takter each will send four horses to the Adios eliminations. Brett Pelling, with two, is the only other trainer with multiple hopefuls. Five of the 23 entrants competed in last week’s Meadowlands Pace final.
Among the top Adios contenders are Southwind Gendry, Abuckabett Hanover, Hellabalou, and Chase H Hanover.
Southwind Gendry is the richest entrant with $814,641 on his card. The Always B Miki-Gambler’s Passion gelding was fourth-placed-third in that Meadowlands Pace final, the results of which have been appealed to the New Jersey Racing Commission. Southwind Gendry has drawn post two, race eight, for Burke and driver Yannick Gingras.
Abuckabett Hanover is a son of Betting Line-All Tucked Up who, in May and June, put together a three-race winning streak that included a Messenger elimination and two Pennsylvania Sires Stake splits. He’s drawn post seven, race eight, for Alagna and driver Andrew McCarthy.
Hellabalou burst on the scene by springing an 81-1 shocker in a Meadowlands Pace elim. The son of Sweet Lou-Magestic Blue Chip leaves from post five, race nine, with McCarthy aboard for trainer Eddie Dennis.
Chase H Hanover was the runner-up in last year’s PASS championship and is seeking a signature win for trainer Scott Cox and Brian Sears. The Captaintreacherous-Calgary Hanover gelding leaves from the rail in race nine.
Here are the fields for the Adios eliminations, from the rail out, with drivers (some of these will change) and trainers.
Adios Elimination 1, Race 8
1. South Beach Star, Todd McCarthy, Brett Pelling
2. Southwind Gendry, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
3. Lancaster Bomber, George Brennan, Duane Marfisi
4. Natameri, Mike Wilder, Howard Okusko Jr.
5. Carbine, Dexter Dunn, Tony Alagna
6. Red Right Hand, Todd McCarthy, Nancy Takter
7. Abuckabett Hanover, Andrew McCarthy, Tony Alagna
Adios Elimination 2, Race 9
1. Chase H Hanover, Brian Sears, Scott Cox
2. Exploit, Andrew McCarthy, Tony Alagna
3. Emblaze Hanover, Joe Bongiorno, Ron Burke
4. Mysweetboymax, David Miller, Sam DePinto
5. Hallabalou, Andrew McCarthy, Eddie Dennis
6. Dean B Hanover, Todd McCarthy, Brett Pelling
7. One Eight Hundred, Tim Tetrick, Nancy Takter
8. Billy Clyde, Mark MacDonald, Ray Schnittker
Adios Elimination 3, Race 10
1. Lou’s Pearlman, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
2. Literl Lad Hanover, David Miller, Ron Burke
3. Water Sports Teen, Joe Bongiorno, Jennifer Bongiorno
4. Curbside Pickup, Tim Tetrick, Bill MacKenzie
5. Rockyroad Hanover, Dexter Dunn, Tony Alagna
6. Bayfield Beach, David Miller, Nancy Takter
7. Gamblin Mo, Tyler Buter, John Butenschoen
8. Always A Miki, Dexter Dunn, Nancy Takter