The MSOA is a non-profit, trade association of owners, trainers, and drivers of Standardbred horses racing at The Meadows, near Washington, Pennsylvania. The office of the MSOA is located in a trailer adjacent to the offices of the judges and the Race Secretary on the backstretch of The Meadows, in order to be close to and responsive to its members.
Incorporated in 1977 under the Nonprofit Corporation Law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the MSOA:
- Promotes the sport of harness racing and the best interests of its members as horsemen in general, as well as in regard to The Meadows in particular;
- Provides effective representation of the members in regard to The Meadows, including without limitation:
- negotiating contracts with licensed racing Associations conducting harness racing meets at The Meadows;
- furnishing appropriate grievance procedures; and
- maintaining channels of communications between the members and the licensed racing Associations conducting harness racing meets at The Meadows;
- Monitors, proposes, sponsors, encourages and otherwise promotes legislation beneficial to harness racing in general, as well as harness racing at The Meadows in particular;
- Encourages and otherwise promotes public interest and confidence in harness racing in general, as well as harness racing at The Meadows in particular; and
- Conducts any and all other lawful business or activities which are incidental to and designed to promote the foregoing, or any of them which may be conducted by a Not-for-Profit corporation under the laws of Pennsylvania.
All owners, trainers and drivers who are engaged in the sport of harness racing will be eligible for membership in the Association if they are:
- a member in good standing of the United States Trotting Association;
- a holder of an Owner’s, Trainer’s, or Driver’s Pennsylvania Harness Racing License;
- and an owner, trainer or driver of any horse that was entered in a harness racing event conducted at the Meadows during the current or preceding racing season;
- other interested individuals (grooms, spouses of owners, trainers, drivers) shall be eligible for membership as an associate member.
All members, except for associate and honorary members, shall be entitled to vote by reason of their membership. Only members, and other individuals employed at or otherwise supporting the Meadows racetrack as determined in the discretion of the Board of Directors, shall be eligible to participate in any insurance or other benefit program sponsored and/or paid for by the Association. The Board of Directors may recommend that the Association grant an honorary membership to any individual, subject to approval of the members at any regular or special meeting. Such honorary membership shall be non-voting. All members, including honorary and associate members, shall be entitled to receive any notices, newsletters or other material distributed by the Association.